May 15, 2022

The Lunar Eclipse

 

To mark the eclipse, we have uploaded the audio of Olivia Robertson speaking on the moon and giving a reading of Lucius Apuleius:


Transcript:
The Moon is our sister planet and her influence moves both the tides of the seas and our own souls. As she waxes and wanes she affects all plant life and our own emotions. In her fullness she is a mighty mirror that reflects to us the polarized rays of the sun. In her darkness she shows us our own black image, the earth's shadow. So she is an enigma that conceals the truth. For everything in this physical world is but a reflection of greater spheres. The sphere of the occulted Full Moon is only truly experienced by the Adepti. Hear the words of Lucius Apuleius, Priest of Isis: 

"As I lay by the seashore I awakened with sudden fear and saw the moon shining bright. Then I thought that this was the most secret time, when that Goddess had most puissance and force. I made this oration to the puissant Goddess: O Blessed Queen of Heaven, the original and motherly source of all things, Thou hast power with triple face to protect and doth illuminate us by Thy feminine Light. Grant peace and rest and protection. And there appeared to me from the midst of the sea a Divine and venerable Face, worshipped even of the Gods themselves. I saw the whole figure of her body, bright and mounting out of the sea and standing before me. She had a great abundance of hair, flowing and curling; on the crown of Her head she bore many garlands of flowers, and in the middle of Her forehead was a plain circle in fashion of a mirror, borne on either side by serpents. Her vestment yielded diverse colours, white, yellow, rosy red and flaming, and (which troubled my sight and spirit sore), her cloak was utterly dark and obscure, shining black and upon it stars glimpsed, and in the midst of them was placed the moon in mid-month, which shone like a flame of fire. And with her holy voice she uttered these words to me:"

"Behold, Lucius, I am come. I am she that is the natural Mother of all things, Mistress of all the elements, the initial progeny of worlds, Chief of the Powers Divine, Queen of all that are in Hades, the Principal of them that dwell in Heaven, manifested alone and under one form of all the Gods and Goddesses: Deorum Dearum-que Facies Uniformis. I am known by Ten Thousand Names and the Egyptians, excellent in ancient doctrine, call me ISIS. Behold, the healthful aeon has come which is ordained by my Providence."


(© Shrine of the Moon photo by Minette Quick, Foundation Center, Ireland.)

Fellowship of Isis Homepage & Archive